With its five-bay façade, Flemish-bond brickwork, and molded brick cornice, the Andrew Johnston House in the Giles County town of Pearisburg is a classic example of western Virginia Federal vernacular architecture. It was built in 1829 as the residence of Andrew Johnston who, with his brother David, was a founding settler of Giles County. In 1806 these sons of Scottish immigrants contracted to lay out the town lots of Pearisburg, the county seat. Andrew Johnston’s son, Harvey G. Johnston, inherited the property upon the death of his mother in 1853. The county’s principal physician, Dr. Johnston ran his practice from a small wooden building on the grounds. The practice was continued by his son, Harvey G. Johnston, Jr. In 1995 the Andrew Johnston House was deeded to the Giles County Historical Society to serve as a museum honoring the Johnston family and their contributions to the county’s history.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark