Blending Queen Anne and Bungalow influences, this architecturally refined structure was completed in 1891 to serve as the office of the newly organized Shenandoah Land and Improvement Company. It was designed by William M. Poindexter of Washington, D. C., who also was the architect of Randolph Macon Woman’s College in Lynchburg and the old Virginia State Library on Capitol Square in Richmond. Like numerous Valley communities, the Page County town of Shenandoah experienced the 1890s land boom that accompanied the construction of the Norfolk and Western railroad. Anticipating growth from industrial development, land companies were formed to attract residents and investors. Shenandoah’s boom was short lived. In 1902 the office was sold to Mary and Edna Stevens. The Stevens Cottage was acquired in 1968 by the Page County Heritage Association and is now a local history museum in the Shenandoah Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark