For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 02/20/1973
NRHP Listing Date 03/21/1973
DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement
NRHP Reference Number 73002008
Since its completion in 1851, this simple Greek Revival public building has been the architectural focal point for this Southside county seat, formerly known as Dinwiddie Court House. It was described as a “very neat and tasty building” when first opened, doing “great credit to the builder.” The Dinwiddie County Courthouse was remodeled in 1858 when its interior was divided into two floors and the courtroom was relocated on the upper level. In March, 1865, Union general Philip Sheridan, leading his troops in a drive on Petersburg, was checked temporarily at the courthouse by Maj. Gen. George E. Pickett. The next day, April 1, the two commanders clashed again at Five Forks, where the Union victory compelled Lee to evacuate his army from Petersburg and Richmond. The Dinwiddie County Courthouse received its Doric portico in 1933 through federal government assistance.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: July 13, 2022