Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

037-0003 Bolling Island

Bolling Island
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 08/15/1989

NRHP Listing Date 12/27/1990

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

NPS property number 89001926

Situated in a rolling pastoral setting overlooking the James River, Bolling Island’s plantation residence is a much-evolved structure whose earliest portion, a section of the east wing, dates from about 1771. The central brick core was built between 1800 and 1810. The entire house was given its present appearance though a substantial remodeling carried out between 1820 and 1835 by Thomas Bolling, son of Col. William Bolling of Bolling Hall. Thomas Bolling gave the house the look of a Classical Revival villa by installing triple-hung sash and adding the portico with its Chinese lattice railing. An orangery was added to the east wing. The resulting composition has the Palladian-type tripartite scheme popularized in the region by Thomas Jefferson. Along with its three remaining dependencies, Bolling Island preserves an image of a prosperous early 19th century family seat of the Virginia Piedmont.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018