Springdale is brick farmhouse in Goochland County, dating from the early 19th century with a modern frame addition. The simplicity of its original decorative details supports the tradition that it was built for Quakers. The land on which Springdale stands was owned by the Pleasants family, prominent Quakers, in the early 18th century. Subsequently, one member, Joseph Pleasants, owned it from 1846 until 1877. Built into the side of a hill, the three-bay farmhouse is one of the few one-over-one-over-one houses in the Goochland County area. The windows of the original section of Springdale have symmetrically molded architraves with roundel corner blocks. Each window is topped with a narrow plastered recessed flat arch. The original interior of Springdale is very simple but includes window trim similar to that on the exterior, a mantel trimmed with minimal pilasters, and a narrow stair with plain balusters square in section. In 1965, a one-story frame wing designed by Richmond architect Andrew Kidwell was added to Springdale by Richard Reynolds, Jr., president of Reynolds Aluminum.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark