A relic of Virginia’s canal era, the Lock-Keeper’s House in Goochland County was built ca. 1836, following the opening of the Maidens to Lynchburg portion of the James River and Kanawha Canal. Serving Lock No. 7, the stone and frame structure with its typical center chimney, was the scene of much activity during its some thirty years of service. Horses were changed there, invoices checked, and tolls collected. The Lock-Keeper’s House also served as a tavern and offered simple accommodations for passengers and canal boat crews. A separate interior stair leads to the guest quarters. The Lock-Keeper’s House passed out of service when the canal was replaced by the Richmond and Alleghany Railroad, now part of the CSX system. The tracks were laid on the canal’s towpath. As of the turn of the 20th century, it was believed to be one of only two remaining lock-keeper’s houses remaining in the state.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark