The Simmons-Sebrell-Camp House is a two-story Italianate farmhouse constructed circa 1770 and expanded to its current size in 1858. The exterior of the house features full height casement windows with transoms, a two-story porch, and bracketed cornices, which decorate the cross-gable roof. The interior floor-plan is laid out in an irregular design with an L-shape hallway. Built in the historic and once prosperous crossroads town of Barn Tavern in the Sebrell Rural Historic District in Southampton County, the dwelling was home to several generations of the Simmons, Sebrell, and Camp families, all of whom took an active role in the community. In addition to the main house, there are four contributing outbuildings on the property, including a small, one-story brick cold storage building and three larger wood-frame agricultural buildings.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark