The Sebrell Rural Historic District contains the remnants of Barn Tavern, which gave rise in the 18th and 19th centuries to a community of the same name. The village of Sebrell, a 20th-century rail-stop town, evolved from Barn Tavern. The remnants of these two villages, situated roughly a half-mile apart, contain the largest concentrations of historic buildings in the district. The surrounding area features historic farms with a mix of large and small agricultural fields, timber farms, and pasture. The period of significance for the district extends from 1761 to 1931, the year Plank Road was rerouted around Sebrell, which hastened the village’s economic decline.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark