For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/20/1981
NRHP Listing Date 10/21/1982
NPS property number 82001814 (No formal nomination)
White Cross – Huntley Hall’s horizontal lines, stone walls, Queen Anne massing, broad expanses of roof, circular tower, and small-paned windows are all typical of the Shingle Style popular in the 1880’s and 1890’s. Stephen Price Maury constructed this house on what was then a tract of 104 acres in 1890, and named it “White Cross.” These is a cross of white stones in the side of the tower. The house was sold with 23 1/2 acres in 1898 to John Lowell, who added the two story west wing in 1900. The Lowell family owned the property for 47 years, and changed the name to “Huntley Hall.” For a ten year period mid-century the Charlottesville School for Boys operated out of White Cross – Huntley Hall. After the school closed, the building was converted into six apartments just after World War II.
The buildings and districts listed under the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area nomination represent a cross section of all the City’s historic periods, from the founding of Charlottesville in the 1760’s through the advent of the automobile and the impact it had on the City’s expansion. Also included are buildings that have played an important part in the history of Charlottesville’s black community. White Cross – Huntley Hall was listed in the registers under the Charlottesville MRA without a formal nomination document.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated December 26, 2018