110-0004

Cherry Hill

VLR Listing Date

06/19/1973

NRHP Listing Date

07/26/1973

NRHP Reference Number

73002210

The former rural character of the small Northern Virginia city of Falls Church is embodied in the Cherry Hill farmstead, that is now part of a seven-acre park in the heart of the city. On the property is a ca. 1845 Greek Revival house and a ca. 1845 frame barn. From 1870 to 1945 Cherry Hill was owned by the Joseph Riley family. Poet James Whitcomb Riley was Riley’s nephew and some of his poems include descriptions of Cherry Hill and its residents. Joseph Riley led the drive to incorporate Falls Church in 1875 and also helped start its first public school. The city purchased Cherry Hill in 1956. The house has since been restored and furnished as a museum interpreting the lifestyle of the area’s prosperous antebellum farm families. The Cherry Hill barn houses a 19th-century tool collection.

Last Updated: August 30, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

000-0022-0011

West Cornerstone of the Original District of Columbia

Arlington (County)

110-0221

Dr. Edwin Bancroft and Mary Ellen Henderson House

Falls Church (Ind. City)

110-0015

Mount Hope

Falls Church (Ind. City)