The Williams House was one of the first buildings constructed in the Tazewell County town of Richlands, and originally served as the main office of the investment group that planned and founded the community. With high hopes of developing Richlands into the “Pittsburgh of the South,” the Clinch Valley Coal & Iron Company made its headquarters, constructed in 1890, a conspicuous example of the popular Colonial Revival style. This was meant to be a demonstration that it intended to bring prosperity and sophistication to the area. The building was later purchased by Dr. W. R. Williams and used as the town’s first hospital, as well as the Williams family residence. In 1994 the Williams family donated the house to the town, whereupon it was restored to house the local public library. The Williams House contributes to the Richlands Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia