For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 05/13/1969
NRHP Listing Date 11/12/1969
NRHP Reference Number 69000234
Built in 1774-76 by William Phillips for St. Mark’s Parish, Little Fork Church is one of the Piedmont’s few colonial houses of worship. The Culpeper church replaced an earlier wooden structure that burned. The parish vestry records contain a note dated March 17, 1776 which states a payment of L5.0.0. to Edward Voss “for two plans of the brick Church.” They also note payments in tobacco to William Phillips as “undertaker” of the building. In a beautiful rural setting, the rectangular church, eighty feet in length, is distinguished by its spreading hipped roof, fine brickwork, and arched windows. Although used as a stable by Union troops during the Civil War, the church retains much original interior trim, including an impressive architectural altarpiece featuring a broken pediment with Doric entablature and pilasters. Little Fork remains an active Episcopal church in Culpeper County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 3, 2022