The late-19th-century composite timber and iron superstructure of the engineering landmark that was the Cartersville Bridge was built on stone piers and abutments constructed in 1822 for a covered bridge. The 843-foot bridge was one of the last major bridges of such construction across the James River, linking Cumberland and Goochland counties. All but the two end spans were destroyed by tropical storm Agnes in 1972. These spans and the stone piers have been preserved as objects of interest parallel to a modern bridge. They compose an intriguing eye-catcher from the hilltop village of Cartersville. Title to the ruin was transferred by the state to the Cartersville Bridge Association following the flood.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark