The First Union School, in the Crozier area of Goochland County, was built in 1926, with the assistance of the Rosenwald Fund, established by Sears & Roebuck president Julius Rosenwald to help secure adequate educational facilities for African Americans throughout the South. One of four Rosenwald schools in the county, First Union, a two-teacher school constructed according to a standard plan issued by the Rosenwald Fund, served the black community for more than 30 years before closing in 1958. The school was associated with nearby First Union Baptist Church, whose roots date back to circa 1868.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark