For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/20/1981
NRHP Listing Date 08/10/1983
NPS property number 83003268 (No formal nomination)
A small vernacular cottage of rectangular form, the house at Pireus has a two-bay facade width and single-pile depth. Height is one and one-half stories with a two-over-two-room plan above a two-room, full basement (with ground level exit to rear). Likely built in the mid 1830’s, it was probably moved from East Market Street to its current location on Riverside Avenue during the late 19th century. This house is located behind the Pireus Store. It shares the same associations with the Charlottesville Woolen Mills, and is one of the original buildings constructed in the area.
The buildings and districts listed under the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area nomination represent a cross section of all the City’s historic periods, from the founding of Charlottesville in the 1760’s through the advent of the automobile and the impact it had on the City’s expansion. Also included are buildings that have played an important part in the history of Charlottesville’s black community. The House at Pireus was listed in the registers under the Charlottesville MRA without a formal nomination document.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated November 20, 2018