The South East Street Historic District is in a portion of the town of Culpeper that grew rapidly during the 1850s with the expansion of the railroad into the area. The district figured heavily in the Civil War through its association with various Union and Confederate military campaigns and encampments. In fact, substantial Union casualties in the area resulted in the establishment in 1867 of the district’s Culpeper National Cemetery following the Civil War. Today the South East Street Historic District features a representative collection of residential architectural styles popular between 1835 and 1955, such as the Hill Mansion, and Wysteria (pictured above).
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark