Gwynn’s Island Historic District

The Gwynn’s Island Historic District encompasses approximately 1,425 acres at the northern tip of Mathews County. The Gwynn’s Island Historic District maintains ties to its 380-year heritage of farming and […]

Courtland Historic District

Beginning as a cluster of courthouse buildings in 1752 along the north side of the Nottoway River, the Courtland Historic District forms the corer of the seat of Southampton County. […]

Brandy Station Battlefield

Over a broad stretch of Culpeper and western Fauquier counties, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, screening Gen. Robert E. Lee’s move to Gettysburg, fought the Union cavalry under Brig. Gen. Alfred […]

Grace Episcopal Church

Grace Episcopal Church is an early Caroline County example of Greek Revival architecture applied to an ecclesiastical building. After its initial construction by neighboring planters between 1833-34 in a simple […]

Greenfield

Greenfield in Lancaster County is important as an evolved antebellum house that always figured as the domestic core of a surrounding Tidewater farm. The earliest portion of the house dates […]

Fort Monroe: Quarters #1

Fort Monroe‘s Quarters 1, built in 1819 before the completion of the fortification walls, was the first permanent structure erected by the Army at the fort. The Federal-style building was […]

The Mansion House

The Mansion House is a classic example of Greek Revival-style architecture.  According to local oral tradition, the Mansion House received its name because it was the first large brick house […]

Cumberland

Through its 300-year existence, Cumberland in New Kent County has housed revolutionists, plantation owners, slaves, and military personnel. Partly due to its location and considerable acreage, Cumberland has been the […]

Thorndale Farm

Thorndale Farm, near Middletown in Frederick County, includes a house with a central-chimney portion dating to the 1790s. A Greek Revival-style main block was added to the original house around […]